How to apply
Tri-Luma® Cream (fluocinolone acetonide 0.01%, hydroquinone 4%, tretinoin 0.05%)should always be used as instructed by your doctor. To use the medicine correctly, follow these steps:
- Apply Tri-Luma® Cream at night, at least 30 minutes before bedtime.
- Gently wash your face with a mild cleanser. Don’t use a washcloth to apply the cleanser, just your fingers. Rinse and pat your skin dry.
- Put a small amount (pea sized or ½ inch or less) of Tri-Luma® Cream on your fingertip. Apply a thin coat onto the discolored spot(s). Include about ½ inch of normal skin surrounding the affected area.
- After you have used the medicine for a while, you may find that you need slightly less to do the job.
- Rub the medicine lightly and uniformly into your skin. The medicine should become invisible almost at once. If you can still see it, you are using too much.
- Keep the medicine away from the corners of your nose, your mouth, eyes and open wounds. Spread it away from those areas when applying it.
- Do not use more Tri-Luma® Cream or apply it more often than recommended by your doctor. Too much Tri-Luma® Cream may irritate your skin and won’t give you faster or better results.
- Do not cover the treated area with anything after applying Tri-Luma® Cream.
- During use of Tri-Luma® Cream, you may experience redness, peeling, burning, dryness, itching or other skin irritation. If your skin gets too irritated, stop using Tri-Luma® Cream, and let your doctor know. Tri-Luma® Cream may also cause a gradual blue-black darkening of your skin; if this happens, stop using the product immediately and speak to your doctor. To help avoid skin dryness, you may use a moisturizer in the morning after you wash your face.
- You may also use a moisturizer and cosmetics during the day.
Use a sunscreen of at least SPF 30 and a wide-brimmed hat over the treated areas. It requires only a small amount of sunlight—not just a sunburn—to worsen melasma. If you do get sunburned, stop using Tri-Luma® Cream until your skin is healed. After stopping treatment with Tri-Luma® Cream, continue to protect your skin from sunlight.
Only your doctor knows which other medicines may be helpful during treatmentand will tell you about them if needed. Do not use other medicines unless your doctor approves them.